Lykke Li talks "Possibility" in New Moon Soundtrack

Monday, November 30, 2009


James Montgomery. MTV.com

"I stayed [in Los Angeles] and watched the movie, when it only had green screen on it. I had this hook in my mind, even before I saw the movie, and then I was watching it, and I was like, 'That's the hook!' " she said. "So it was very much like a discovery, inside myself and musically. I had this song growing inside of me that I had to get out, and [the film] was the trigger. Because I really connected with Bella and Edward's tortured love story."

So Li sat down at her piano and wrote "Possibility," a very maudlin song about love and pain and, ultimately, death. Lots of death. Like we said, she doesn't operate like most of her pop contemporaries.

"I get very visual when I make the songs. It's really quite serious. It's almost like a fever haze. It's very repetitive, like a mood you go into. But it's really serious, because, if you're really, really in love, and somebody leaves you, that's a very serious thing," Li explained. "And so the lyrics are like, 'When you walk, you walk like a thief with blood on your hands, because I die when you leave me.' It's in this limbo that, when the song is done, you don't know if I've survived or not. It's very much like a fever, like, 'Oh, my God, it's hot, she's going to die, maybe she did die?' It lingers on, into the next life. It's dark."

It's a complex, moody song on an album positively teeming with them, mostly written by lesser-known, decidedly indie acts. Which, again, was part of the reason Li signed up. She doesn't see this as a simple soundtrack; to her, it's part of a much larger mission.

"We've been feeding people such sh--. Why can't we feed them good things? I really thought about that too," she smiled. "Because I know Robert Pattinson is this big teen idol, but I remember watching 'Romeo + Juliet' with Leonardo DiCaprio, and I was, like, in love. I cried, like, five times. And the soundtrack to that movie is so good, you know? Really well-chosen songs. Not commercial. I think it's great, and hopefully we can do that again."

For the full article, read here.

One of my favorite tracks on the New Moon Soundtrack is Possibility. I believe yours too. Hahaha. I see a lot of you searching this blog for it. I also love Rosyln. I love all the songs actually. Its a very good soundtrack, worth buying. Do you have your copies already? What is your favorite track? =)

0 comments: